Father Robert C. Richardson, who throughout his priesthood faithfully served as a pastor or parochial vicar in all regions of the Archdiocese of Washington, is marking the 50th anniversary of his priestly ordination in 2021.

 Prior to his retirement in 2005, Father Richardson served as a pastor in several parishes in Southern Maryland and later in Prince George’s County. For nine years, beginning in 1994, he was the pastor of St. John the Baptist de la Salle Parish in Chillum. In 1984, he was appointed as pastor of St. Catherine of Alexandria Parish in McConchie and St. Ignatius of Loyola Parish in Hilltop, leading those parishes for 10 years. From 1978 to 1983, he was pastor at St. Francis de Sales Parish in Benedict, serving as parochial vicar for one year in 1977 before being named pastor of the Charles County parish.

 During the early years of his priesthood, Father Richardson served as a parochial vicar at parishes in Washington, D.C. and Montgomery County. He was the parochial vicar at St. Mary Mother of God, Washington, D.C. for several months in 1977; at St. Mary Parish, Rockville, from 1971 to 1972; at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Bethesda, from 1972 to 1975; and at St. Gabriel Parish, Washington, D.C., from 1975 to 1977.

A native of Malden, Massachusetts, Father Richardson earned degrees in accounting and business administration from the Bentley School of Accounting and Northeastern University in the late 1950s. He earlier served in the U.S. Army Reserve, receiving an honorable discharge in 1957 to pursue theological studies. From 1960 to 1961, he studied with the Franciscans of Holidaysburg, Pennsylvania.

More than 25 years after taking the CPA exam in Massachusetts and earning the Silver Medal Award in 1956 for the second highest grade in the commonwealth, Father Richardson was named as the assistant director of finance at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception with a residence at St. Bernadette Parish, Silver Spring. He served in that role for one year from 1983 to 1984.

Born Jan. 6, 1935, Father Richardson grew up in Sacred Heart Parish in Malden, Massachusetts, receiving there the sacraments of Baptism, First Holy Communion and Confirmation. He studied for the priesthood at St. Mary’s Seminary in Baltimore and Mount St. Mary’s Seminary in Emmitsburg, Maryland. Father Richardson was ordained to the priesthood on Feb. 13, 1971 at the Cathedral of St. Matthew, Washington, D.C.   Following his retirement 16 years ago, he moved to Florida, where he currently resides.